Downtown Earth Day Tour 2016
Saturday, April 23 2016
Celebrate the fourth annual Downtown Earth Day Tour with the Botanical Garden, the Science Center of Iowa, the World Food Prize Hall of Laureates and the Riverwalk Hub.
The Downtown Earth Day Tour is a FREE admission day at the Botanical Garden sponsored by the Principal Financial Group.
Use the trails and the Principal Riverwalk to walk or bike between locations and participate in an Earth Day scavenger hunt - it's less than 1. 5 miles one-way!
Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden
- Interact with local organizations, including Brenton Arboretum, Living History Farms, Urban Ambassadors, Des Moines Herb Study Group, Global Greens, Metro Waste Authority, Plant Sync, Sierra Club
- Iowa Bonsai Association spring bonsai show
- Participate in a collective art project
- Good bug/bad bug demonstrations from the Botanical Garden horticultural staff
- Recycled make and take activity - Be sure to bring a clean, 11 oz. or larger, empty food can to make your own hanging garden to take home!
- Explore the outdoor gardens
- Admission is FREE(Sponsored by Principal Financial Group)
Science Center of Iowa
- Free bike valet for secure parking
- Catch Earth- and space-themed programming, including Iowa Skies Tonight and Investigation: Climate Change
- Meet NASA astronaut Clayton Anderson (Keynote presentation at 11:00 am with Q&A and book signing following)
- Safely view the Sun through solar telescopes (weather permitting)
- See a variety of earth-friendly vehicles
- Explore SCI’s newest mini-exhibit, the Collector’s Corner
- Admission is FREE (Sponsored by the Iowa Space Grant Consortium)
- Show your bike helmet or a bus stub on Saturday, April 25, for $1 off a documentary IMAX film
World Food Prize Hall of Laureates
- Open 11:00 am - 1:00 pm
- Tour the LEED-certified Hall of Laureates, one of only a handful of buildings in the entire country that both is on the National Register of Historic Places and has earned the distinction of LEED Platinum certification – To reach LEED Platinum , the building must meet standards in six different categories: Sustainable Sites, Water Efficiency, Energy and Atmosphere, Materials and Resources, Indoor Environmental Quality and Innovation in Design.
- Admission and tours are free
The Riverwalk Hub
- Plan a stop at The Riverwalk Hub to grab a refreshment. Any Downtown Earth Day Tour participants can get a large coffee for the price of a small on April 23.
- Learn about river conservation with Iowa Rivers Revival organization.
Event Category: Free Days
- April 23, 2016 11:00 AM–03:00 PM